World War One
The little known Dolomite front, bitterly fought over between Italy and Austria from 1915 to 1917, is a world that can only fully be discovered on foot. We walk you through well-maintained trenches, fortifications and tunnels and tell you all about the battles that took place there.
An Oxford history graduate, Isabelle has made the Great War in Italy an area of specialist interest and regularly runs First World War themed walks in the Dolomites.
The war fought by the Italians and Austrians on the Dolomite front between May 1915 and November 1917 was unique –utterly different from the large scale set battles, taking place further to the east, which so often led to bloody stalemate. The nature of war in the Dolomites was dictated by the landscape. In the mountains the Italians fought an astonishing smaller scale offensive war. The terrain was so challenging that they had to rely on innovative methods of warfare and outstanding, often ingenious, individual acts of bravery. Many of the resulting attack and mine tunnels, fortified mountain ledges and crevices and teleferiques used by both sides are still in remarkably good condition and are accessible to walkers of all abilities.
- A circular hike with open views to the Mt Piana high plateau with its extensive trench and tunnel system (6 hours, gentle walking option available).
- Explore the trenches and fortifications of Sass di Stria with spectacular views and descend in a fascinating well-preserved First World War tunnel (4-5 hours).
- Climb up through flower-filled pastures to the spectacular trenches of Mt. Col di Lana and descend past the medieval ruins of tiny Andraz castle (6-7 hours).
Pick and mix
Make up your ideal walking holiday by choosing a range of walks from the pick and mix list on the right or tell us your interests and preferences and let us put a trip together for you or choose from one of our trips bookable through our London agents.
- Choose one of our new trips bookable through our London agents;
- choose a tailor-made guided trip – tell us how many days you want to walk and what your walking preferences and interests are and we’ll put together a walking holiday for you – walking from hotel to hotel or day walks from one or more hotels. You don’t need to be a large group – we can put something together even for groups of 4;
- choose a self-guided walk – decide how long you want to come for and which walks you’d like to do from the options listed below and we’ll put a tour together for you. If you choose self-guided we’ll provide walking notes, personalised advice, accommodation support and baggage transfers;
- go for a combination of guided and self-guided walks or select one or more walks as part of an independent walking holiday.
Dolomite Treks - Who we areTESTIMONIALS
Isabelle Johnson has 15 years experience in creating, organising and leading small group walking holidays in Italy both for a top UK walking holiday company and independently. As an Oxford history graduate she has a special interest in the history of the Dolomites in general and of the First World War Dolomite Front in particular. She also has a passion for alpine flowers and has lived in the Dolomites for fifteen years.
Via Giau, 3 - 32040 Valle di Cadore (BL)
p.iva 0105 8020254 - c.f. JHNSLL67P48Z114I
Anna Vecellio del Monego
Born and raised in the area, Anna Vecellio del Monego knows the Dolomites, its footpaths and its hotels and restaurants intimately. She has wide ranging experience in organising and leading small group walking holidays with a top UK company and after many years working in hospitality and tourism in general she is now a really passionate holiday organiser 'insider'. A graduate of Verona University in languages and Tourism Management she has travelled and walked all over the world. She is currently a busy Deputy Mayor, looking after her home town. She is a certified Middle Mountain Guide of the Veneto Alpine Guide Association.
Via Valle Ansiei, 51 - 32041 Auronzo di Cadore (BL)
P.IVA partita iva: 01140950252 - c.f. VCLNNA79M46A501V
Dolomite Treks offers advice, local knowledge and expertise born of many years working in the field. Anna and Isabelle are not Alpine guides and any walking activities are entirely at your own risk.
Anna and Isabelle are freelance tour managers working through FUNActive Tours Travel Agency - Bahnhofstrasse 3, 39034 Toblach (BZ) - Via Stazione 3, 39034 Dobbiaco (BZ) - Tel. +39 0474 771210 - firstname.lastname@example.org - www.funactive.info - Funactive Tours GmbH | Srl - Von-Kurz-Strasse 25, 39039 Niederdorf (BZ) - Via Von Kurz 25, 39039 Villabassa (BZ) - VAT No. IT02622710214 and use the Dolomite Treks name and site for visibility purposes.